Thursday, January 30, 2014

Whole Wheat Flatbread.

OH HEY! Need a whole wheat flatbread recipe?

Lets get to it.

You'll need:
1+1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1+1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp olive oil
2+1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 cup of warm water*

*Warm water is not pictured because water is hard to take a picture of who cares its fine.

Add the white flour to a large mixing bowl, along with the yeast and salt. Make it look like a boob kindof. You're doing great!

Add the warm water and olive oil, then get to mixing.

You'll wonder why your dough isn't forming, so I want you to pay attention to the fact that you chose a dough hook attachment FOR MIXING PURPOSES. What an airhead.

I didn't feel like tracking down my paddle attachment, which is what you should use for that first mixing, so I grabbed a spatch and did it the old-fash way. Just like my mawmaw did.

In small batches, mix in the whole wheat flour. Halfway through you may realize you don't have the arm strength mawmaw had to mix by hand, but that is okay. Once you've incorporated some of the wheat flour and its not liquidy anymore, the dough hook will work just fine.

SO. Back to being lazy.

Don't be ashamed.

Once you've worked in all of the wheat flour and the dough has come together, knead it on a lightly flour surfaced for 5 minutes, then form it into a ball.

Throw it into a lightly greased bowl and cover with a tea towel for 30 minutes so it can rise.

After 30 minutes, cut in half. You've got yourself 2 flatbreads! Congratulations.

If you aren't planning on using these day of, this would be the time to stick them in the freezer. I used one for dinner and froze the other. NEEEOOOWWWW. When you're ready, just roll it on out.


Stick it on a pizza stone or greased cookie sheet or you know, whatever.

Get creative with your toppings. Follow your heart. Follow your dreams. Never give up.

I had chickens in my fridge.

So I cooked them. Then I sliced them.

I also had bacon. And pesto and tomatoes and parsley. And mozz. I went with it and I didn't look back.

You can bake your flatbread at 350, then crank up the broiler for a few seconds to get that crispy bottom. 

Sprinkle herbs and/or tomato (oooh avocado would be good, too) on once it comes out of the oven.


Enjoy! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment